The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) is a free service from the U.S. Department of the Treasury. EFTPS is a convenient way to make federal tax payments online or by phone, 24/7.
EFTPS is secure and easy to use - enabling you to schedule your payments in minutes.
Businesses can schedule payments once the liability is determined up to 120 days in advance.
Individuals can schedule estimated payments up to 365 days in advance.
1. Gather the following information:
- Taxpayer Identification Number (Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number)
- Bank account number and routing number
- Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents
2. Visit www.eftps.gov
- Select the Enrollment tab
- Select Business or Individual
- Enter the requested information and Submit
3. Get your temporary Internet password
After you receive your PIN, call 1-800-982-3526 to get a temporary Internet password.
Payments must be scheduled at least one calendar day prior to the tax due date (before 8:00 p.m. ET). Remember, you can use EFTPS to make all federal tax payments and to review up to sixteen months of your tax payment history.
- Visit www.eftps.gov.
- Select "Make a Payment."
- Log in with your EIN/SSN/PIN and Internet password.*
- Enter the payment information in the step-by-step screens.
- When you're finished, save a copy of the payment Confirmation page.**
- Call 1-800-555-3453.
- Enter your EIN/SSN and PIN.
- Press 1 to make a payment.
- Follow the prompts to complete your payment.
- Record your EFT Acknowledgment Number.
*For your added security, the first time you visit www.eftps.gov, you will be prompted to change this password.
**This contains your EFT Acknowledgment Number that acts as a receipt for your payment instruction.